Thursday, August 16, 2012

New South Wales to Victoria, Australia

Having been in the Sydney & Manly area for about 2 weeks, I am finding myself anxious to get out of the city & into the country. Sydney is a beautiful city, with lots to do- but it is a metropolis after all, and an expensive one at that! One of the travel pamphlets I picked up recently stated it is the 15th most expensive city in the world & my bank account is starting to feel it!

The country lifestyle is in my heart & I just cant wait to pitch a tent, feel the ground beneath my feet & watch the moon evolve as the days pass. In the city, even one as beautiful as Sydney, it is hard to notice the nature around us- its the stuff that makes life so beautiful. Nature is calling me. 

Myself & my two travel companions have landed an Orange picking job 30 minutes south of Mildura, Victoria. In a small country town called Iraak, we will be living in tents on the farm for 3-5 weeks.

We left Sydney yesterday and took a train/bus combo with CountryLink, transferring in Cootamundra. The total cost was $91 AUD. We survived the 17 hour trip, a severe rainstorm & a double rainbow! The trip down here was quite beautiful.
We showed up in Mildura lastnight around midnight to find the bus stop had little shelter from the insanely heavy downpour that was upon us. Luckily- so luckily, we had a ride to pick us up, a very friendly fellow from the hostel, " Mildura Stop Over". We spent today walking around Mildura, picking up supplies for the weeks to come, another tent, some thick insulated work gloves, etc. etc.

The farmer, whose name is also Jamie is picking us up to go to Iraak in only an hour, so I best be on my way, follow-up and more pics to come! Kickin off..

If you enjoyed this post, please "Like" below to share on FB! Thnx for reading Roaming Backpack! 

No comments:

Post a Comment